Saturday, March 11, 2006

A taste of my book beginnings...

In my studies for my book I came across I Corinthians 11:5-10, "And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head-it is just as though her head were shaved. If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head. A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10 For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head. (from New International Version)

Now, I know there is A LOT in that passage that raises questions! I have been reading a lot of commentaries and studying the Greek/Hebrew as best I can. I have an idea or "twist" that has been formulating and I am praying and reading more to see if there be truth in my idea.

The basic "jist" is this - since the garden of Eden woman has had an incredible amount of power or influence over man. Adam did not even hesitate to take a bite of the forbidden fruit from Eve. I dare say that if the serpant had approached Adam, he would have refused with no problem. But woman? Ahhhhhh, the spell she puts him under.

It is because of this power, I believe, that Paul was asking the women to cover themselves when speaking - to remove all distraction and ensure that the words spoken were pure and from God and not just the allure and manipulations of a woman. The word "meek" has also been used in this passage and I heard a great definition of meekness - it is "power under control". The word is used in reference to a lion in the NT I believe. So it is not a definition of weakness or a subordinate, but of much power choosing to be gentle and subdued. A woman choosing to be submissive out of love and respect for her husband, knowing the power and manipulation she COULD use over him would be ungodly.

I have other scriptures, Greek/Hebrew root words, etc. that I will be using in my book to further back this up.

It has been eye-opening and humbling! I don't think we could ever exhaust the depths of a Proberbs 31 woman!

My bottom line has always been this - the Proverbs 31 woman is such an incredibly high standard that the only way we can "measure up" is to surrender to the power of the Holy Spirit and use his fruit to accomplish the many tasks. God did that on purpose - why would we need him if we could do it on our own?

2 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Hi. I saw your comment on Jezreel's Journal and left a little message for you there. It is just a sort of side note to what you had mentioned in your comment there about women covering up so as not to distract the men...

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Summer said...

Amen! I am looking for other women striving to be like P31 girl--and you brought up a really important point--we have to depend on the Holy Spirit to really become the standard...I've started a challenge for women interested in striving together to be like her--come check it out! 31women.blogspot.com

I may have to add this blog to my list of resources!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home