Thursday, July 07, 2005

How's Your Soul?

I have come to the computer several times today. Each time I ask myself, "Why am I here?" Each time I have had a different answer: To check emails, to rewrite one of my stories so I can find a home for it, to work on my story for this week's challenge, to find meaning and purpose?

I finally discovered what is the problem. My soul is out of peace. I tried to do my devotions at the beach today while my children played. The problem was, this is the third trip to the beach this week and my daughter is done with the beach thing. So I didn't get my devotions or Bible study done today. Bingo! I am missing whatever it is my Jesus has to say to me today.

If anyone happens on this blog and doesn't take time out to read God's word or go through it with a study book, I so strongly encourage you to do so. Even if you don't understand a word you read, God will honor your devotion and desire and just fill you with his presence.

I went through a time when I was reading the Old Testament and it was DRY. I really didn't care who begat who at that point and just wanted to be done! But as I hung in there, I began to see the character of God in the stories, dealings, and even the geneologies. Did you know that Jesus Christ had incest and prostitution in his family line? I no longer lament my screwed up family background. If the one who defeated DEATH came from a mess, than there is no limit to what that same one can do through me.

I challenge you to read just 2 pages of the Bible a day - no more, no less. See what happens. God will reward your faithfulness, just keep yourself open to him.

Happy reading!

2 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great entry. At Sunday School today we began talking about the DaVinci Code. And I was surprised when some members did not know that the book was a novel. And that many things were made up. And it got our study on Angels and if we study the Word and stay informed about our world, then we would be able to differentiate fact from fiction. We would know why we are important to God and why our little mission--parenting--is just as important as anything else.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Janna Rust said...

Thanks for your encouragement for people to take time out to see what God has for them in His word! :)

Blessings!
Janna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home